Skip to content
Be a Tuna Champ
Who can be a Tuna Champion? You can. Here's how...
Who can be a Tuna Champion? You can!
Watch our short videos to find out how small moves make a difference.
From preparation to plate
Learn from the experts about making
the most of every fish you catch.
Tuna Tagging techniques explained
Learn exactly how to tag a bluefin tuna – and make your
citizen science moves count.
Caring for your catch
Find out how Rod & Reel commercial fishers care for their catch to get the best quality from the fish they keep
Is your fishing gear up to the job? Are you using gear that will the minimise impact on the fish? Are there things you can do to avoid degrading the quality of the flesh if you’re keeping it for eating – or to improve its chance of survival if you release it?
Poor handling techniques can affect the welfare of the animal, reduce its chance of survival if released, and affect the quality of the meat if you plan to keep it to eat.
Releasing fish reduces the impact of fishing on populations – and that means better fishing for everyone. Reducing stress and damage to the your SBT will give them the best chance of surviving.
- For big fish boatside, keep the boat moving forward slowly so water flows through the gills, until your fish is ready to swim away
- Gently release smaller SBT with a little push forward so water flows through the gills
- If you’re tagging the fish before you release it, see our Tag section below
- Read more in the SBT Code of Practice
Download the IkeJime Tool Extreme app here
Find out why and how to dispatch, bleed, gut and cool bluefin for the ultimate bluefin taste – and so no fish is wasted…
- Need a quick guide to dispatching & processing your SBT? Check out our
Tuna Champion Info Card
- Every fisher knows you need a lot of ice to chill a tuna – but how much is enough and what’s the best way to do it? We put chilling methods to the test. The results may surprise you. The Chilling Truth – BlueWater Issue 140
- Why the right time to take ice on your boat is… every time. Read more
- Catching a tuna to eat for the recreational fisher Watch video
Do you know how to prepare a bluefin to get the most out of each fish? See how the masters do it!
- How to butcher a whole tuna: every cut of fish explained Watch video
- Find out about SBT cuts, yield and more in Fishfiles – SBT
- Love to channel your inner chef? Pick up our regular prep tips on Facebook and Instagram
- In our Tuna Champ videos, you’ll see how professional Rod & Reel fishers care for their catch for the best quality flesh with the longest shelf life, and watch the experts take SBT from preparation to plate. See the links at the top of this page!
A tagged and recaptured SBT tells a story about movement, growth, and sometimes natural mortality rates across the population.
You can help researchers gather useful data about SBT, by tagging and recording information correctly, and handling and releasing the fish with care. Reporting any recaptures of tagged bluefin also helps us learn more about these iconic fish.